Monday, June 30, 2008

Breaking: Unfancy food actually kinda fancy.


So I went yesterday to the 2nd Annual Unfancy Food Show in Williamsburg, an answer to the hoity-toity oh-so-slightly-pretentious event happening across the river. I attended it gladly, uncowed by thigh-sticky-making humidity, tightly-packed crowds armed with dangerous pork-on-a-stick, the occasional thunderous rainstorm and the odd self-esteem-deflating skinny hipster. I attended it to say hello to my friends Tom and Emily, and to meet new friends Cathy and Scott. But mostly I attended to eat lots of local chocolate and local ice cream and local honey and local pickles and local ricotta and local pork on a stick. And drink cheap beer and cheap wine and rather expensive bottled water from the Catskills. And all in all, unfancy is not the word I would use, except maybe for the tarps which shielded all the fancy food from the torrential rain. But yummy is a word that comes to mind.

Afterwards we ate meat and cheese and oysters and olives at Marlow & Sons down the street, after a walk through the rain and an incident with a rather bitchy bartender at Diner who couldn't quite get around to asking us if we wanted a drink, presumably because we weren't hip enough, but objected (bitchily, with much raising of eyebrows) to, of all things, an innocent pair of wet shoes placed on her bar. The nerve! But the meat and cheese and oysters and olives were great. Honestly, it was a sort of absurd alterna-foodie day, and now I'm feeling all food-bloggy with my shout-outs and my links, which always kind of makes me want to take a shower, but what the hell. There are far worse things. Than showers. Or alterna-foodie days.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

On the off chance that you are not maddeningly busy with far more important work, I was wondering if you would be interested in writing an article for an English-language magazine about Greek food. As the editor (it was an accident, I can’t even sepll), I can assure you that you may use as much profanity as you wish. We even pay (well) – and not in Drachmas. How about mastering Greek cuisine in a week? There is plenty of offal. Or we can fly you and a friend/spouse to Greece and find something else to torture you with. The web site of the magazine is www.epikouria.com. I can be reached at ellen.gooch@sendyne.com.

Your fellow Texan-turned-NYer,
Ellen

8:29 AM  
Blogger Emily Farris said...

I had six skewers 'o pork. Well, five skewers of pork and one pork chop on a skewer, thanks to Eric.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, fine for you. While you were spending the day eating unfancy food, I spent the day reading the last chapters of your book. (It was left in my apartment accidentally by a visitor.) So, I slogged a bit at first, then got totally involved as you recounted every problem I've ever had trying to cook. (Although I had moths in the spice rack. Maggots never got further than the trash can filled with bad fruit.) But you are such a sweet dear. In the end you got me. I choked up and now your rattling around my brain apartment. Thanks.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Suzie Ridler said...

Rustic foods are my favourite! That's where the love is.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Alyson said...

This has nothing to do with your recent post BUT I just saw this on Boston.com http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/blogs/renow/2008/07/julia_childs_ho.html

and, having just finished your book, thought you might be interested.

10:53 AM  
Blogger suzanneelizabeths.com said...

When is your next book going to be coming out?

6:04 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Hi Julie, Just finished your book today. I cried at the part about her saving you from drowning. But I did work 15 hours in the heat yesterday. I worked on the movie of your book. I was too busy to read the book while we were shooting. I can't believe I didn't know you were at the wrap party. My friend said he talked to you and you were alot of fun. I've worked in film for over 20 years and never had the impulse to know more about the subject. Loved it. Also, that's what you get for hanging out in Williamsburg and pretending it's not fancy! Jennifer

6:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jenny -

I’m developing a documentary film for Channel 4 (one of the UK’s most innovative and forward thinking broadcasters) and wondered if you were around for a chat.

I came across your site after reading your recent assault on food snobbery in the Times. The doc I’m developing echoes many of those sentiments, but will access them through an audacious press stunt. It’s a really exciting project.

I look forward to hearing from you

BW, John

John.farrar@somethinelse.com

7:18 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

I just read your book this spring at the beach. I laughed so much out loud, my friends thought I was crazy. However, they immediately read it too.

I've given 2 copies already as gifts.

By the way, what happened to the cat in the ceiling.

Patti

12:18 PM  
Blogger Richard Majece said...

What about using advices from https://pro-academic-writers.com/blog/cheat-in-exams in college? It will help you with cheating in exams for sure

8:11 AM  
Blogger james brown said...

Thanks for your posting. Keep posting like this is very helpful for us have found something new in this Article. Btw also visit my website
custom logo design company

11:20 PM  
Blogger Haris said...

It's very helpful for me.
Such a unique blog!
law essay pros

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a valuable and interesting post, thanks for the share.


law dissertation Writers

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valuable and interesting post, thanks for the share.


law dissertation Writers

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home